Tel +27 (021) 880 1444 | Fax +27 (021) 880 0291 | P.O. Box 12602, Die Boord, Stellenbosch, 7613
Hannah Kaye’s gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free lunchbox ideas for young children on restrictive diets
1. Seeded cracker (from Wellness Warehouse), chopped mango, naartjie, ham rolls (without preservatives), one rolled with red pepper and the other with cucumber, sugar-free coconut dark chocolate-chip cookie.
2. Leftover salmon with salad, veg and dried olives, seeded biscuit (yes, they are the flavour of the month!), plum, mango and some dark chocolate-covered dried blueberries (from Faithful to Nature).
3. Gluten-free (GF) cocktail meatballs, baby tomatoes, yellow pepper, seeded cracker, raspberries, chopped plum, dipping hummus.
4. GF chicken burger, GF oat cake, baby tomato and yellow pepper salad, grapes, mango.
5. Chicken salad (red and yellow pepper, carrot sticks), dried olives (from Faithful to Nature), Nairns GF wholegrain cracker, fresh mango, small handful fructose-free cranberries and dark chocolate-covered sunflower seeds (both from Faithful to Nature).
6. Sweet potato bread toasted sandwich with sunflower seed butter and raw honey, kudu droewors, plum, raspberries. Try to limit bread to one slice per day (usually at breakfast), apart from weekends when we’re on the move. Sandwiches tend to be the easiest snacks to carry around (and to take to the beach).
HANNAH KAYE, BSC (HONS) NT, BJOURN. Twitter: @hk_ntwww.hannahkaye.co.za
She is a nutritional therapist and currently specialising in Translational Nutrigenomics. She obtained her degree in Nutritional Therapy through the British College of Nutrition anzd Health and Greenwich University in London. Hannah is passionate in her belief that a functional approach to health, good nutrition, and a more natural way of living can improve the quality of life of everyone. She treats all areas of health with a special interest in immune and neurologic disorders, and practises in Cape Town.
Click here to browse or order previous issues